Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Killer Angels

The Killer Angels, by Michael Shaara, tells the dramatic and bloody story of the Battle of Gettysburg.
In one passage, Colonel Chamberlain of the 20th Maine, is forced to make a moving speech to persuade some mutineers to join him. They are all from MAine. He is told by the officers that he is authorized to shoot them if they do not obey. Chamberlain thinks about this for a moment, then tells his brother, his aide "To kill men from Maine would be harming my state. I sall not take arms against any man from my beloved state."
I can understand him. He is proud to be of Maine, and has a good sense of moral ethics. I can put myself completley in his place. Many other people have faced the exact same situation.

Chamberlain's love for his state is much stronger than his devotion for the army. He knows he will never be able to return to his state  if he shoots his own men.

The question is: What can you do in a situation like this?
Is it better to just shoot them, knowing that they will never listen to you,  ormake an effort to have them support you?
Chamberlain made a speech to get them to join him, but what would happen if he shot them? If I shot New Yorkers just for being mutineers, I would never be able to come back to New York without breaking down.
Do we have a right to kill certain people? Are their lives worth more than others?
I don't think so. A stronger man is not worth more than a weaker's one. A richer's is not more than a poor's.
Please leave your thoughts on these questions in the comment section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment